Surfing is a sport that gives value to balance and grip over everything else. That is why the best surfboard traction pads are incredibly valuable pieces of equipment.
This seemingly simple addition to your board can make the ultimate difference in terms of your performance, not to mention your ability to stay atop your board.
A surfboard traction pad would be a great idea if you are working on improving your stability and your stance. It becomes a necessity especially if you are just starting as you will undoubtedly find yourself sliding all over as you ride a wave.
That said, we’ve come up with a handy guide to help you choose the best surf traction pads.
What We Cover
Top rated Surfboard Traction Pads for 2023
|Octopus Swallow Corduroy 2-Piece Traction Pad||View on evo|
|Gorilla Grip Otis Traction Pad||View on evo|
|Dakine Rebound 2-Piece Traction Pad||View on evo|
|FCS T-2 Hybrid Board Traction Pad||View on evo|
Best Surfboard Traction Pads for 2023
Choosing the right surfboard traction pad can be quite challenging. Finding one that best suits your needs as a surfer is often easier said than done. After all, there are so many things you have to take into account. That said, we went out of our way to choose the 4 best traction pads for surfboards out there in the market today.
#1. Abahub 12 Piece Surf SUP Deck
First, we have Abahub 12 Piece Surf SUP Deck Traction Pad. It boasts of superior traction by making use of its anti-slip design. For instance, it has 3mm deep diamond grooves which give your board that distinctive textured surface and significant levels of grip.
The use of premium materials is one of the things that made this traction pad stand out. Not only does it use quality EVA material, but it also has certificated resin as well as marine grade 3M self-adhesive backing. Once put together, all of these ultimately create excellent stickiness that will never fail.
Moreover, the traction pad is incredibly soft and comfortable to use. Again, it goes back to its use of premium materials. For instance, the EVA foam serves to absorb the shock of the waves and provides you with an easier surfing experience. At the same time, it prevents your feet from becoming sore and fatigued, effectively enhancing your endurance for longer distance paddles.
In addition to this, Abahub gave its users a lot of room to customize this traction pad. This is so you can find the perfect fit. The package comes with 12 pieces that you can adjust according to the type of board you are using.
If you want something stable and secure, then the Abahub 12 Piece Surf SUP Deck Traction Pad would make a fine choice.
#2. FCS Filipe Toledo
Next, we have the FCS Filipe Toledo Traction Pad. As you may have surmised from its name, this traction pad is part of the FCS Athlete Series Traction range. This time the manufacturer has collaborated with Filipe Toledo to create this unique 3-piece pad. Needless to say, the whole goal of this project was to partner up with the world’s best surfers to design and test the best surf equipment in the world. Needless to say, it doesn’t disappoint.
Clearly, this traction pad was a perfect collaboration. It is made extremely clear that its design and built were made to maximize performance and push boundaries. Most impressive are the rider-specific features that help elevate the entire experience.
For instance, you will probably notice that the pad uses sanded surfaces. Aside from texture, this helps dramatically enhance the surfer’s grip. In addition to this, its design also features channels that aim to give you additional resistance as you hit the water.
Of course, this is not to say that the pad will always hamper acceleration. Notice how this pad is specifically designed to keeps your foot firmly grounded on the board. This means that you can easily accelerate and control your board with ease. Its ultra-thin sensitivity also helps in this regard.
Needless to say, the FCS Filipe Toledo Traction Pad lives up to the skill and prowess of its namesake. So, it is worth a try.
#3. Dakine Superlite Surf
Made by one of the top names in the industry, this surfboard traction pad serves as a testament to the legacy and capability of Dakine. For the past four decades, this company has continuously produced some of the best surfboard accessories and equipment. If this traction pad is any indication then it seems that trend isn’t stopping anytime soon.
This Traction Pad is made from biodegradable EVA foam. This means that it is specifically designed to give you more traction without any extra bulk or weight. Its cutout pattern is designed to keep your feet firmly in place, regardless of rocky the wave is. Moreover, the Superlite traction pad also has a grip that is unlike anything else in the market. Needless to say, its use of marine-grade 3M adhesive is crucial here.
It is also noteworthy that the traction pad’s three-piece design drastically reduces drag on the water. This is made possible by its 7 mm center arch, not to mention its genius use of a 25 mm rolled ramp tail kick that gives you a significant boost as you hit the surf.
If you are looking for innovative and quality surfboard accessories, then be sure to check out Dakine’s product line, starting with the Superlite Traction Pad.
#4. FCS Juloan Wilson
Finally, we have another traction pad from FCS. The FCS Juloan Wilson Traction Pad is another collaboration between the company and one of the world’s top professional surfers. Needless to say, this traction pad is built for a wide array of boards and designed to withstand even the most extreme wave conditions.
It sports a distinctive double square groove design that is designed to give the rider optimal grip and traction on the water. With this traction pad, you can rest easy knowing that you are in stable hands. That said, it is the perfect choice for beginners and professionals alike.
The FCS Juloan Wilson Traction Pad never fails to give its users a steady and consistent surfing experience and that is why we love it.
Why Should You Use a Surfboard Traction Pad?
These are some reasons that why these accessories are so crucial. It is time that we take a closer look at the different reasons why you need to install surfboard traction pads.
- An alternative to Surf Wax – Initially, surfboard traction pads were designed to save you from the tedious task of constantly applying wax to your board. If you are smart, then you would realize that this is the best way to go. After all, you won’t ever need to fret about water temperature or rugged surf conditions when using these accessories.
- Highly Durable and Cost-Efficient – Needless to say, these traction pads serve as smart investments on your part. Compared to wax that needs to be periodically applied on your board, traction pads will last you a long time. A tail pad has bumps that can last for a very long time, making it more efficient and less costly compared to a surf wax.
- Incredibly Comfortable – Most traction pad manufacturers prioritize the rider’s comfort. It should go without saying that your feet can take a beating, especially in rough surfing conditions. Luckily, traction pads are there to absorb some of that impact, saving you from undue strain and fatigue.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Traction Pad for Surfboard
There is certainly no shortage of traction pads in the market today. However, the question that needs to be answered is: how do you choose the right one? To answer that, we have prepared a list of the things you need to consider when looking at the different surfboard traction pads.
- Number of Pieces – This is the first thing you need to look at. Remember, the number of pieces will have a great impact on the way you surf. For instance, three-piece pads are the most commonly used. Not only are they the easiest to install, but they are also incredibly versatile and can work well with the different types of surfboards.
- Texture and Surface – You need to seriously consider what texture you want. They can come in different styles. Namely, your pad’s texture can be perforated, grooved, squared, and diamond-shaped. Remember, the choice of texture can add or reduce the pad’s grip.
- Arch – Another essential design element that you need to consider when looking at different traction pads is the arch. Of course, choosing the best arch depends entirely on the size of your foot and the kind of movement you want to pull off while surfing. As a rule, the bigger your foot, the higher the arch.
There you have it, everything you need to know about finding the right surfboard traction pad for you.
Like with everything else, you need to take your time and consider your options carefully.
That said, be sure to check out the list of our best surfboard traction pads.
To is Surf and Kite Instructor, Surfboard Shaper. He share about His life in this blog. More about Him in About page.